Friday, December 25, 2009

Gas Masks?

OK I have this M10M Czechoslovakian gas mask and I have herd that it has a shelf life and is obsolete but the place where I got it from “Cheaper than dirt” says it will protect me against all types of gas attacks- I have used it and tried to smell objects with it, stuff like gasoline and superglue and I haven’t smelled the gas or anything when doing it but when I took it off I immediately smelled every thing, so would that work and does it have a shelf life?Gas Masks?
Even expired filters retain some effectiveness against certain threats. I expect yours would still work against tear gas and other fairly large particles but not against most toxic agents. And remember, it never would do anything for you in an environment without sufficient oxygen like a house fire or chlorine gas leak.Gas Masks?
It might work. Expired milk might not make you sick either, but who wants to bet their life on something like that? Report Abuse

The mask itself may not have a shelf life, but the cartridge that goes to it will. The Navy used to use the MCU-2P for gas masks, the Cartridge un-opened has a 5 year shelf life, after being opened only has about a 8 hour shelf life in the conditions designed for. Since you opened the cartidge and used it, you might as well throw it away and try to find a replacement cartridge.
The filters are good for only so long, it's most likely expired by now.
Ok, no filter is any better than any other. The mask itself is only obsolete if it is made of obsolete material. Get what I'm saying?
The filter is what would have the shelf life. It also depends on what size particles it is rated for. I don't know anything about that specific gas mask. Most things will probably be filtered but smaller particles wouldn't. I wouldn't use it in a chemical or biological attack but it should be effective for most things.

No comments:

Post a Comment